Search Website / Enter Key Words:
Or, By Phone On: +44(0)5603 847889
© Copyright H.Ryder T/A Hope Parenting 2015-
Hope & Help For Parents & Families
According to John Gottman* and others in the field, Emotional-
Emotion Coaching uses moments of heightened emotion and resulting behaviour to guide and teach the child and young person about more effective responses. Through empathetic engagement the child's emotional state is verbal acknowledged and validated, promoting a sense of security and feeling 'felt'. This activates changes in the child's neurological system and allows the child to calm down, physiologically and psychologically.
Five key steps are involved in Emotion Coaching;
1. Becoming aware of the child's emotions;
2. Recognise the emotion as an opportunity for intimacy and Teaching;
3. Listen empathetically, validating the child's feelings;
4. Help the child find words to label the emotion;
5. Set limits and explore strategies to solve the problem at hand.
Children who learn to master their emotions are physically healthier, more self`confident and achieve more in school”. John Gottman*, The Heart of Parenting
Services: Emotion Coaching